Head of Compassion in World Farming, Philip Lymbery states :
IN ORDER FOR HUMANS TO BE ABLE TO BUY LOW COST MEAT – Interrelated conditions exist :-
- In UK there are 1,674 intensive factory farms. Average space per. chicken 25cm x 25 cm. 94% chickens raised for meat in these conditions.
- About 1/2 European antibiotics are given to livestock to combat infection & to enhance rapid animal growth. Infection spreads rapidly in factory farms.
- Dutch scientists estimate 1/3 to 1/2 of antibiotic resistance in humans is due to infections originating in agriculture.
- Poor working conditions for Farm Workers in factory farms: bacterial infections, cross contamination, excessive lines’ speed, exploitation, low wages
- 5 privately owned firms control the new MEGA FARMS:- Faccenda, Moy Park, Cargill, 2 Sisters, Banham Poultry .They supply cheap meat to Tesco, Sainsbury, Morrison, Asda, Macdonalds, Nando,
- Tracey Worcester – Farms not Factories. HERE
- Compassion in World Farming – HERE
- The Bureau of Investigative Journalism – HERE
- Andrew Wasley Guardian -Sustainable Business 22.12.15 – READ ALL ANDREW’S ARTICLES HERE
- TED TALKS . San Antonio. Dr Karl Klose. Rise of the Super bug – SEE THE TED TALK HERE
- Dr Danielle van Daler – ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE
- 10 Alarming facts about factory farms
- The Rise of the Mega Farm